Date: Nov 29, 2019 to Dec 01, 2019
Time: All Day
COURSE FULL. Wait-list being taken.
Canadian Red Cross Wilderness & Remote First Aid
This fun and interactive 20-hour course is a must for anyone who spends time more than an hour away from medical aid. This course includes trip planning and preparation, adult, child and infant CPR (Level ‘C’), obstructed airway procedures, artificial respiration, use of an Automated External Defibrillator, prevention of disease transmission, and wound management. Recognition and first-aid treatment for drowning/partial drowning, heart attack and stroke, allergic reactions and anaphylactic shock, hypothermia, heat stroke, bone, muscle and joint injuries, poisons, burns, diabetic emergencies, head and spine injuries, evacuation and transportation, and extended care will also be covered. Participants spend the majority of the course doing hands-on first-aid and participating in first aid scenarios. By practicing with scenarios, students gain confidence, learn to improvise and react in emergency situations.
Must have (required gear):
- Weather appropriate clothing, with outdoor shoes. You will need to be dressed for the weather: wind, sun, cold, perhaps even snow. So please come prepared, and please no jeans/cotton if it’s a wet & cold day, unless you have no other options. Rain pants are ALWAYS a good idea.
- Clothing you don’t mind getting dirt
- Food (snacks & lunch) & water
- Your Wilderness & Remote First Aid field guide (you will receive this on Friday!)
- Something to take notes with
Nice to have for added course value (recommended gear):
- Small insulation pad (to sit on/use in scenarios). AKA – insulation between you and the ground. Conduction (direct contact) is one of the major causes of heat loss! It can be a pad, piece of foam, or even a cedar bough out in the wilderness.
- Any items you would normally carry (we will discuss how to improvise things we need)
- Small fire starter kit
- Folding knife
- Thermos of hot drink
- Sleeping pad
- Old sleeping bag or blanket you don’t mind getting dirty
Date: November 29th – December 1st, 2019
Time: Fri 6:00pm-10:00pm, and Sat/Sun 8:00am-4:30pm
Location: Fri at 920 Johnson Street, & Sat/Sun TBA (Victoria location)
Cost: $170 (Note: This is a great price for this course!)