As part of the celebration of Canada’s 150th birthday in 2017 the Vancouver Island Section of the Alpine Club of Canada set the following goal:
Could we collectively climb 150 Vancouver Island peaks and hills in one year, and record our summits online?
And what a great goal! The Vancouver Island Section participants managed to summit 208 peaks and hills in 2017!
A peak or hill eligible for inclusion was any Vancouver Island or Gulf Islands peak that is:
- listed in: A Guide to Climbing and Hiking in Southwest BC Bruce Fairley
- listed in: Island Alpine or “Island Alpine Select” Philip Stone
- listed in Lindsay Elms island peaks data base, which can be accessed from: http://islandmountainramblers.com/resources/vancouver-island-peaks/
- listed in www.summitpost.org
- a named wilderness summit on a topo map (i.e. excluding those that are commercially developed)
How did we do?
Climbers (with the help of Mary Sanseverino) or with Google accounts uploaded summit photos to the following shared Google Photos space: https://goo.gl/photos/kmY6w5hEfkL8KDk77
We encourage you to take a look!
Our ACC-VI Vancouver Island 150 map
Click the small “Arrow in Screen” icon on the upper left of the map to see peak details. The “[ ]” icon on the right enlarges the map to full screen. If you have any questions/comments please get in touch: Mary Sanseverino – email@example.com.