We have gear that members can rent for trips
- Most items are $5.00 per weekend and $10.00 per week with the exception of transceivers and tents which are $10.00 per weekend and $20.00 per week.
- Payment in advance is required together also with a signed release of liability.
- There is no rental charge for equipment taken out by trip leaders on training exercises.
- Early reservations are recommended.
- If a reservation is not cancelled by at least 24 hours notice to the Gear Manager the rental will be a debt owing to the Club, subject to the discretion of the Gear Manager in exceptional circumstances, and no further gear will be rented to the member until the debt is paid.
- Scheduled club trips hold priority over non-scheduled trips and may bump reservations for non-scheduled trips.
- There will be a $5.00 per day late charge if the rental is overdue by more than 24 hours.
Where do I pick up gear?
The south island gear is now coordinated by two members and stored in two different locations:
- Mike Hubbard is the gear manager for all backpacking and snow activities, including avalanche safety equipment. He lives in Central Saanich and can be contacted at email@example.com
- Erich Schellhammer is the gear manager for all climbing activities, including ropes, helmets and harnesses. He lives in Victoria and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
The up-island gear continues to be coordinated by Valerie Wootton and Lindsay Elms. They live in Courtenay and can be contacted at email@example.com
What gear is available?
This list was last updated in 17/2/21.
- Belay Device – 1 Clog figure of 8
- Bivvy Bag -1
- Crampons – 4 pair Grivel adjustable with bot plates , 1 pair Salewa strap on, 1 pair instep
- Jumars – 2
- First Aid Kit – large and suitable for fly-in camps only
- Food dehydrator
- Harnesses – 6 adult and 4 kids (can only be taken by trip leaders)
- Helmets – 10 adult and 2 Kids
- Ice screws – 3
- Ice Axes – 18
- Ice tools – 7 miscellaneous
- Pack – 1 Lowe 40 litre
- Pickets – 7 aluminum, 5 snow anchors
- Probes – 9 in Victoria 2 up island
- Pulley – 1
- Radios – 6 Uniden CB radios and 1 cobra marine radio for use on club trips only
- Rock Gear – miscellaneous antique pitons and hammers, and one pair size 10 shoes.
- Ropes – 1 Beal 60m 11mm, 2 Petzl 60m 9.5 mm and miscellaneous shorter ropes ( can only be taken by trip leaders)
- Shears – 1 bush pruning shear
- Snow shovels – 11 in Victoria 2 up Island
- Snow shoes – 4 sets
- 1 pair size 8.5 Scarpa T4 Ladies Tele Boots
- 1 pair 27/28.5 Garmont Men’s Tele Boots
- Solar charger – 1 (for use on club trips only)
- Spot Gen 3 – unregistered and available for purchase only
- Tent – 1 four person Sierra Designs Stretch Prelude tent
- Transceivers – 10 Barryvox Transceivers (8 in Victoria 2 up island)
- Wands – 40 bamboo