ACC-VI has entered into an agreement with Mosaic (the forest management company for most of Vancouver Island’s privately-owned land) which provides the section with keys to the gate at Comox Lake Main. This gives the section 24/7 access to the east side of Strathcona Park and backcountry destinations from the west side of Comox Lake, enabling trips not subject to the restrictions of the opening hours of the gate.
The agreement comes with the following terms:
- Insurance through ACC National is essential to the arrangement, which is only valid on officially scheduled trips. Thus, keys can only be used by leaders of trips that have been posted on the schedule at least 48 hours before the start time.
- All vehicles passing through the gate mid-week must carry VHF radios. The club has purchased two, which are issued with the key, instructions and paperwork.
- There is absolutely no camping on Mosaic lands.
To help ensure the process runs smoothly, trip leaders are asked to follow the steps below.
Instructions for trip leaders using the Mosaic access agreement
Before the trip
- Post trip on the schedule by emailing email@example.com. The trip must be posted at least 4 days before the start time. A longer lead time is helpful for everyone. (You cannot plan a trip that uses this access if it overlaps with a previously posted trip to this area.)
- Only after the trip is posted, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive information on pickup of key and instructions. This email goes to Valerie Wootton, who is the keeper of the key, radios, etc. in Courtenay, and to Barb Baker, as back up. The trip leader then is sent a response with:
- address and lock-box combination for pickup
- Mosaic site manager’s phone number
- instructions on radio use and road protocols
- Use the number/email provided to contact the Mosaic site manager at least 2 business days before the planned trip as you must receive approval from Mosaic before you start your trip.
- Do not accept non-members on these trips.
- Familiarize yourself with the protocols for the use of active logging roads in Mosaic Agreement Schedule D.
- Print and take copies of the Mosaic waiver and ACC waiver from accvi.ca. Get all participants to sign both.
- Only the trip leader can pick up the key, radios, etc. from Valerie’s home.
During the trip
- Follow the instructions for the use of the digital key/Invisible Witness card to open the smart gate at: https://www.ivwit.com/usegate.php You may need to hold the card at the reader for up to 30 seconds to activate the lock.
- Use the key to lock the gate behind you. If found open, leave it open. Only ACC-VI trip vehicles can enter.
- All vehicles on the trip (up to a maximum of two) must carry a radio.
- Follow road protocols and radio use instructions.
- No overnight camping on Mosaic property (and no fires).
- Turn the radios off when parking vehicles or leaving logging road to conserve batteries.
- Carry the Mosaic key safely on your person rather than leaving it in the vehicle.
- Follow guidelines for parking as directed by the site manager.
After the trip
- At the end of the trip the key, radios, etc. must be returned by the trip leader immediately to the lock box in Courtenay.
- Return waivers to email@example.com.
- Submit your trip report! This is an expectation for the privilege of using the key, and will help us monitor how the system is working.
The lock box in Courtenay contains:
- Two radios with instructions
- Mosaic digital key with instructions
- A copy of the Certificate of Insurance from ACC National
- A copy of the permit from Mosaic (schedule C)
- Information on protocols for active logging road use
- Copy of the map of approved road use
- Copies of the Mosaic release form which must be signed by each trip participant