As part of the celebration of Canada’s 150th birthday the Alpine Club of Canada – Vancouver Island Section has set the following goal:
Can we collectively climb 150 Vancouver Island peaks and hills during this year, and record our summits online?
And what a great goal! It should be a lot of fun, and hopefully the process to get your summit photos and ascent info online will be easy. We can go beyond 150 too — I’m willing if you are! A peak or hill eligible for inclusion can be any Vancouver Island or Gulf Islands peak that is:
- listed in: A Guide to Climbing and Hiking in Southwest BC Bruce Fairley
- listed in: Island Alpine or “Island Alpine Select” Philip Stone
- listed in Lindsay Elms island peaks data base, which can be accessed from: http://islandmountainramblers.com/resources/vancouver-island-peaks/
- listed in www.summitpost.org
- a named wilderness summit on a topo map (i.e. excluding those that are developed)
Here’s what you do:
- Climb a peak that has not yet been recorded in the project (check out the Google Map below this post to see what’s been recorded so far)
- Go and and climb it!
- Take a summit photo of the summiteers
- Record the date, name and lat/long coordinates of the summit, name of the summiteers, and a few notes about the trip (say a max of 250 characters for the notes — but you could go more if you and your team are just full of things to say about the trip!!)
- If you have a Google account click the following link and you can upload your summit photo to the following shared Google Photos space (check out the photos there already – you don’t need a Google account for that): https://goo.gl/photos/kmY6w5hEfkL8KDk77 Click the “Add to Album” icon on the upper right. Once you’ve uploaded the image, click on it to enlarge and get access to the “Info” icon (an “i” in a circle on the upper right hand corner). Add the following info:
- Summit name
- Lat/Long (any coordinate form will do — although those giving it to me in UTM will be haunted by my ghost — and that won’t be pleasant for anyone!)
- Names in the party
- Notes You’re Done — I’ll take it from there!
- If you don’t have a Google account, would rather not use the technique described in 5, or have any trouble getting the uploads to work you can simply send an email to email@example.com You need to attach your photo, and include all of the info noted in 5 above in the body of your email. You’re Done — I’ll take it from there!
Our ACC-VI Vancouver Island 150 map
Click the small “Arrow in Screen” icon on the upper left of the map to see peak details. The “[ ]” icon on the right enlarges the map to full screen. If you have any questions / comments or would like to help out – please get in touch: Mary Sanseverino – firstname.lastname@example.org (but please don’t send me photos and info for upload on this email – use the address in point 6 for that – or haunting will look like a tea party!!).